Selected projects. See Press for coverage.
Cost of Discretion: Judicial Decision-Making, Pretrial Detention, and Public Safety in New York City. Oren, Oded, Topaz, Chad M., & Oliva, Courtney M. (2023).
- Action partnership: Scrutinize and Zimroth Center on the Administration of Criminal Law
Racial disparities in criminal sentencing vary considerably across federal judges. Goldrosen, C.M. Smith, M.-V. Ciocanel, R. Santorella, S. Sen, S. Bushway, C.M. Topaz. J. Inst. Theor. Econ. 179 (1) (2023).
Algorithms in Judges’ Hands: Incarceration and Inequity in Broward County, Florida. U. Bahl, C.M. Topaz, L. Obermüller, S. Goldstein, M. Sneirson. Submitted (2023).
New York City Jails: COVID Discharge Policy, Data Transparency, and Reform. E. Miller, B.D. Martin, C.M. Topaz. PLOS One 17 (1) (2022).
- Public writing: What Happened When Rikers Let Out Hundreds? Follow the Facts.
Federal Criminal Sentencing: Race-Based Disparate Impact and Differential Treatment in Judicial Districts. C.M. Topaz, S. Ning, M.-V. Ciocanel, S. Bushway. Submitted (2022).
Impacts of California Proposition 47 on Crime in Santa Monica, CA. J. Crodelle, C. Vallejo, M. Schmidtchen, C.M. Topaz, M.R. D’Orsogna. PLOS One 16 (5) (2021).
JUSTFAIR: Judicial System Transparency through Federal Archive Inferred Records. M.-V. Ciocanel, C.M. Topaz, R. Santorella, S. Sen, C.M. Smith, A. Hufstetler. PLOS One 15 (10) (2020).
- Public resource: Data dashboard
- Action partnership: Amicus brief research for Puerto Rico Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Analysis of Pretrial Hearings in Berkshire County, Massachusetts. N. Goldrosen, C.M. Topaz.
Diversity of Artists in Major U.S. Museums. C.M. Topaz, B. Klingenberg, D. Turek, B. Heggeseth, P. Harris, J. C. Blackwood, C. Ondine Chavoya, S. Nelson, K. M. Murphy. PLOS One 14 (3) (2019).
- Action partnership: Analyzing Permanent Collections of the National Gallery of Art
- Public writing: When Data Meets Diversity
Race/Gender Based Under-Representation of Creative Contributors: Art, Fashion, Film, and Music. C.M. Topaz, J. Higdon, A. Epps-Darling, E. Siau, H. Kerkhoff, S. Mendiratta, E. Young. Nature Hum. Soc. Sci. 9 (221) (2022).
- Action partnership: Lifewtr / Life Unseen [4 billion+ impressions online]
Do Introductory Courses Disproportionately Drive Minoritized Students out of STEM Pathways. N. Brown, N. Hatfield, C.M. Topaz. PNAS Nexus 1 (4) (2022).
- Public writing: How STEM Faculty Can Fight Institutional Racism and Sexism
Affirmative Action, Critical Mass, and a Predictive Model of Student Body Demographics. D. Maes, J. Tucher, C.M. Topaz. PLOS One 16 (5) (2021).
- Public writing: Assessing affirmative action policies in U.S. undergraduate admissions
- Public resource: interactive modeling tool
Demographic Study of Signatories to Public Letters on Diversity in the Mathematical Sciences. C.M. Topaz, J. Cart, C. Diaz Eaton, A. Hanson Shrout, J.A. Higdon, K. Ince, B. Katz, D. Lewis, J. Libertini, C.M. Smith. PLOS One 15 (4) (2020).
- Public resource: data dashboard
Gender Representation on Journal Editorial Boards in the Mathematical Sciences. C.M. Topaz, S. Sen. PLOS One 11 (8) (2016).
- Public writing: Gender Disparities on Mathematical Sciences Editorial Boards